We will use this post and its comment thread for some needed reminders or clarifications. They will probably get reposted to Site Comments. If you have comments or responses to these, feel free to use either of those threads for replies. Thanks
1) LOL and OY submissions automatically approved
We’re trying to promote the understanding of LOL and OY collection posts that they are reader-driven ideally. And apart from correcting duplications or filtering the not-safe-for-family, the editors are not going to be judgey about whether we think a sent-in comic is really funny or not, really a good wordplay or not. It’s more like anything-goes.
Contact Mitch and WinterWallaby at the usual submission address if you are interested in being a Co-Editor in Training.
What you will be doing (immediately or soon)
• Join in maintaining email correspondence with readers
• and content submitters
• and grey-eminence type advisory panel members
• and our sponsors/publishers (the Bickel family)
• Read and monitor the flow of comment posting, manage the Pending (“moderation”) and Spam buckets, and make your own comments or edit reader comments as necessary to avoid out-of-line ill-tempered disputes. (And of course to enjoy expressing your own views!)
• Initially in consultation with the rest of the editorial team, and later independently, decide how and when to use material submitted by readers.
• Share the mouse-and-keyboard tasks of getting that reader-submitted material uploaded, posted, and editorially framed.
• Find material for posting from the course of your own comics reading, and post it
What you need to be/do/have/know to “apply”
• This is a volunteer activity, not a job. Unpaid. No set office hours.
• You should be in general familiar with the CIDU site and our usual contents and style, and in general enjoy comicstrip humor. But you don’t have to be a prolific commenter.
• You should be able to maintain a sense of humor and relaxed cooperation for negotiating collaborative plans, decisions, and solutions
• You do not need to be familiar with WordPress admin pages or app! But you should be someone who considers yourself adept at picking up and using web-browser-based forms and tools, with only casual instruction (email texts and maybe some Zoom screenshare sessions)
• You should be able to work from a full screen desktop or laptop computer with reasonably uptodate OS and web browser and related tools.
• You should not insist on tech eccentricities that would prevent effectively using the WordPress editing web app.